Srikakulam, the district located on the extreme north costal area of the state, enjoys the status of being the Crown of Andhra Pradesh topographically. Historically popular as Kalinga Desam, the kingdom was ruled by the Ganga dynasty for over 500 years. The meandering river Nagavali flows tantalizingly through the town of Srikakulam. The mythological origin of the river dates back to the Epic era. The legend has it that a furrow made by the plough of Balarama, the brother of Lord Sri Krishna, turned into the river Langulya, the old name for the river Nagavali.
The College never rests on its laurels but continues to surge forward in all its endeavors for enlightenment with the slogan “Aim high – Soar High”. The College motto reflects the spirit with which education is imparted to be imbibed by the students, kindling their minds with creativity, true to the import of the College motto” “tejaswi naavadheetamastu” (let the teacher and the taught grow and glow with enlightenment).
The Government Degree College, Srikakulam, the first and foremost College in the district was established in 1951 vide. G.O.Ms.No.1887 of the Madras Government. It was granted affiliation by the Madras University as Arts College, Grade II with the introduction of Intermediate Courses in 1951 and later upgraded to Government Degree College in 1954 with the introduction of undergraduate courses .This College was affiliated to Andhra University, Visakhapatnam and recently attached to the newly formed Dr. B.R. Ambedkar University, Etcherla, Srikakulam. This was recognised by the U.G.C under 2(f) and 12(b) from 06-10-1969.
The College had its humble beginning. Located in temporary sheds in 1951 and carried on thus until 1962 when it acquired its new look with permanent buildings, paving the way for its historic role in the dissemination of education, extension and Research motivation in this remote and backward north coastal region of Andhra Pradesh.
The College has the privilege of having renowned personalities hailing from this institution: Sri H.J. Dora IPS, member central Vigilance Commission, Govt. of India, Sri G. Yethirajula, High court judge, Sri Allamsetty Krishna Rao, IRAS, Accountant General, Sri R.K.R.Gonela, IAS, Commissioner of Land Revenue, A.P Sri T. Sitaram, former Minister, State Excise, A.P. are but a few of such luminaries.
The College celebrated its Silver Jubilee function in 1978 with UGC Grants in the Sixth Plan of rupees three and a half lakh. With the release of a UGC Grant of rupees two lakh in the Seventh Plan, along with a special grant of the Director of Collegiate Education. The imposing Silver Jubilee Auditorium was constructed.21 additional class rooms are constructed with accumulated funds of the college with matching grant of RUSA funds.
The College possesses a spacious building for the General Hostel, well managed by the students themselves. The Central Library of the College is accommodated in the main building itself and enjoys the distinction of being the largest among the three districts of Zone-I. In addition to the conventional courses several Restructured courses have been introduced in B.A and B.Sc. There is a great demand for subjects like Electronics, Microbiology and Bio-Technology. Students who joined these courses feel that they are really privileged and their enthusiasm and responses are well reflected in their good performance in the University examinations.
Various courses are introduced to suit the latest developments in the respective fields. The College has introduced two restructured courses with Tourism, Geography, Political Science as one group and Tourism, Geography, and English literature as another group in 2005 and 2006 respectively. Recently, B.Sc., Electronics B.Com., Computers in UG and M. Sc., Botany in PG were introduced in the year 2015-16 in addition to M.Sc., Chemistry, M. Com., and M.A., Telugu.
Efforts are being made to improve the laboratory facilities in all the newly introduced restructured courses. Staff members are also equipping themselves for the new branches by attending Refresher Courses and the training programmes conducted by the Universities and the Academic Staff Colleges. UGC is funding some of the major and minor research projects undertaken by some of the members of the staff of our College. Many of them have attended National Seminars and presented papers. Sequences of National Seminars/workshops are being conducted with the financial assistance of funding agencies like UGC and DBT. The Dept. of Biotechnology alone has conducted four national seminars in the academic year 2015-16.
CBCS pattern with 6 semesters for UG has been introduced from the academic year 2015-16 with cumulative effect by APSCHE. Examinations are conducted on the University model to familiarize the students with questions and also to allow them to test their own ability in answering the paper in the stipulated time. Two mid examinations for each semester, assignments and project works are being conducted as a part of internal assessment. All the departments arrange Guest Lectures and extension lectures to the students that would make one in a position to know the latest advancement in their respective fields of study.
The Institution always encourages the faculty members to take up research work . The College has 13 Ph.D. holders and 10 M.Phil. holders out of 57 faculty members. Another 09 faculty members are pursuing Ph.D., under FDP/part-time programme.
The College was accredited for 1st cycle with B++ (CGPA 83.05) by NAAC in February, 2005 and re-accredited for 2nd cycle in August, 2011 with ‘B’ Grade (CGPA 2.87). Recently College undergone 3rd cycle accredition on 25th & 26th Septemebr 2017 and graded with B++ (CGPA 2.90).
Internal Quality Assurance Cell:
As part of the post-accreditation activities, an Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) was formulated in 2005. It plans various mechanisms and internalizes various Quality measures. Various Activities such as guest lectures /extension lectures Workshops/seminars etc.,.Every year. Dr. N. S. N. Swamy, the Co-ordinator of (IQAC), prepares Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) and submits to the NAAC Office, Bangalore at the end of every Academic year.
Jawahar Knowledge Centre:
The Commissionarate of Collegiate Education has established a nodal Jawahar Knowledge Center in this institution with a view to create employability to young graduate students from Govt. Degree College in 2006. About 1200 students were trained for the last five years and 250 have got placements in various agencies.
District Resource Centre:
The College was developed into a District Resource Centre (DRC) to network all the 12 Govt. Degree Colleges in the district. The executive committee with principal, Govt. Degree College (Men), Srikakulam as chairman was constituted on 11.09.2007. It has been functioning successfully from September, 2007 to till date.
The DRC provides resource persons to the other Colleges to deliver lecturers to give academic support and progression to the students of the rural Colleges through faculty exchange programme. It also gives coaching to the final year pass out students to appear for various competitive and entrance examinations.DRC remains as a platform for online lessons delivered vy senior faculty through Virtual classrooms.
The Principal is the Head of the Institution, and discharges various duties and takes up multiple responsibilities like admissions, Examinations, conduct of various entrance and competitive examinations. He acts as Chief Superintendent for every examination conducted by Andhra University, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Andhra University Distance Education, Acharya Nagarjuna Open University, and departmental tests conducted by Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC). The Principal also acts as Regional Coordinator for Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (EAMCET). He is nominated by Andhra Pradesh State Council for Higher Education (APSCHE) as a member to inspect the introduction of new courses and newly established Colleges.
The College Planning and Development Council (CPDC) was constituted as per the instructions of the Government with a view to involve the local public and elite in the developmental activities of the College. It was proposed to meet the local philanthropists who could offer their services to accumulate necessary funds. Meetings of the CPDC were held periodically to discuss and review the progress of the activities taken up department wise.